Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Being submissive ~

*I originally posted this on Home-Based Bible but
I thought it was time to post it on my personal blog as well*

Q - when the Bible says for wives to be submissive to their husbands, does this mean we must do everything they say?

(The answers provided are our opinions and nothing more.)

Kristina L's Opinion - First, let us look at one of the verses being discussed..

"For wives, this means submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of his body, the church. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives should submit to your husbands in everything." (Ephesians 5:22-24 NLT)

The verse clearly says that the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is head of the church.

Submitting means honoring God through my duties as a wife. I was created to be a helpmeet to my husband, meaning I need to help meet his needs. I try to make my husband's life easier. When I let my husband lead our family, things seem to fall into place. We communicate better. I stopped nagging and let him make decisions which helped our relationship tremendously. He was in the role that God intended for him to be in.

I became more of an equal, he learned to trust my opinions knowing that I wasn't just saying them to argue. If he decides for something and I'm against it, I give him my opinion, but ultimately, it's his decision. I don't always get my way.

Jesus loves His church, so much that He died for us. He would never cause pain or bring harm to us. I submit to my husband knowing that he has my best interests in mind. He makes decision that better our family. If he leads us in a wrong direction, it is for God to judge him, not me.

I struggle with this at times. It's not always easy for me. I must work on this everyday.

We must remember that by submitting to our husbands, we are really choosing to honor God!!

"Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives." (I Peter 3:1,2)

Being submissive means putting your husband's needs above your own. Not nagging him but lifting him up with adoring words!!

I encourage you to say a few encouraging things to your husband each day!! Be a blessing in his life. Make his home a place where he WANTS to be.

God bless,
Kristina


Beth J's Opinion - As long as whatever he is asking doesn’t require you to disobey God’s commands, then yes.
OK….now that your hair on the back of your neck is standing up, there’s more to this.

The biblical definition of submission is “a willing and positive response; a conscious and friendly yielding of his or her own will.”

Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. ~ Ephesians 5:22-23 (NIV)

This is not saying that your husband is your Lord, but is referring to the correlation between the relationship of Christ and the Church VS Husband and Wife.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. ~ Ephesians 5:25-28 (NIV)

You see, God doesn’t expect you to jump every time your husband says so. It is not a sort of power to be lorded over you. A man is meant to cherish his wife. He is to love & protect her as he is devoted to her good.

When a woman makes the decision to follow her husband as God commands it can transform their marriage. We are no longer limiting or getting in the way of God’s plan. There is now room for GOD to lead him.

I’ve been married to my husband for more than 11 years now. We’ve had our share of disagreements big and small. Whether we are talking parenting or financial stuff, he values what I have to say. I believe that God gives my husband divine wisdom in the situations we face. There have been so many situations in our life together where I had no clue what to say or do. He had just the perfect words or maybe an option that I could not see. I don’t always agree with him, but I choose to follow anyway, and the outcome will always be the same, God is leading him and I am honored to follow such a man of God.

Being a submissive wife is not always an easy thing. I am far from perfect. It is something I have to consciously choose daily. It requires me at times to step back, re-adjust my focus, check my motives and usually includes some sort of attitude adjustment.

The thing is that ultimately I trust GOD! If we are striving to keep things according to his plan for us, we will live with his blessing upon our lives.

Prayer: Lord, I pray that you would touch the lives of all that read this today. I pray that you would show them your way and reveal to them what your plan is for their life and marriage. I pray that they are encouraged and have hope, knowing they can have a marriage according to your plan and full of your blessing. Please guide us all as we strive to be the kind of wives you intended us to be. ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment