Friday, April 5, 2013

Modest Girl/Unmodest World

"Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works."
(1 Timothy 2:9-10 ESV)

I try to dress modestly but with stores offering less than modest merchandise, it's like going on a treasure hunt at times. Here's a few things I do..

I shop thrift stores, garage sales, and I LOVE hand-me-downs! It fairly inexpensive to shop 2nd hand. You don't always find what you're looking for but when you do it's exciting, plus you feel great when you save all that money. Hand me downs are great!! They are free and (with friends like mine) I get practically brand new items.

Camisoles!!! I wear tank tops or camis everyday, under every shirt!! Most have lace tops/bottoms so they add a feminine touch to my outfits. They also can extend the length of my shirts. I don't like to sit down and have a shirt ride up...camis help with that.

A few other things to think about when choosing modest outfits are:

*What statements do my clothes make about my heart?

If you are preaching purity and modesty to others while wearing revealing clothes you may be seen as a hypocrite. By being modest you allow people to see your inner faith rather than your outer appearance.

"Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world." (1 Peter 2:12 NLT)

*Am I seeking to please God or impress others?

God sees everything. Jesus knows how you dress, and He knows whether or not you are trying to dress in a manner which ultimately glorifies Him. Does dressing in a way that glorifies Jesus matter to you? I pray that it does.

Think about skirt/shorts/dress length. Is your shirt/skirt see-through? Can you see your bra straps? Are your pants too low when you sit?

I hope this has helped a few of you to think about how you choose clothes. In weeks to come, we'll go more in depth on what the Bible says about modesty.

Here is my first "modest outfit" example :)

Black Shirt - Hand me down
White cami (hard to see) - Walmart
Black/Grey Skirt - Thrift Store
Leggings - Hand me down
Black boots - Christmas gift

xo,
Kristina

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I love shopping at thrift stores too~ actually the only way I get to shop for clothes are thrift stores or garage sales, unless the department store has 85% off haha. Looking forward to your next outfit and tips!

    ReplyDelete